kearleyzoo

Monday, September 11, 2006

More, More........

Around our house there is a lot of noise! There's a lot of cars being ridden, cars being pushed, cars being fought over (hmmmmmm, there seems to be a car theme here). BUT there's not a whole lot of talking going on .... at least by Jace and Cade. They definitely have their own language with each other and they can (usually) communicate to us what they want.

At our last two Little Gym classes they have been introducing a few words in sign language. Now, I've heard of parents doing these signs with their children but never really gave much thought in teaching it to the boys. As a matter of fact, MOST of the kids in the class already knew these signs. With my competitive mothering instinct intact, I felt like my boys were a little behind ... and I can't have that!!

So, my goal for the day was to implement "more" and "thank you". Mission ACCEPTED!

Our popsicle addiction around here proved very easy to teach "more". Cade pretty much caught on the first time around. He did it perfectly....touched all of his fingertips together....gave him some praise....he was so happy that he was able to tell me that he wanted more without having to throw himself down in front of the refrigerator and throwing a fit. It was really nice!


Jace did really good too. The only little quirk with his method is that he just touches his index fingertips together. He doesn't do all of them, which is the "proper" technique. But, he wasn't budging .... So, I gave him his praise and another popsicle!


Then, we moved onto "thank you". Well, Nana has already been working on this one. When she tells them to say thank you, she makes deep eye contact with them and says (with her head nodding slowly) "now say THANK YOU". So from that, the boys have picked up bowing to us to say "thank you".

Now, we have our own finger touching, bowing little "mute" boys running around the house. It's pretty cute!


(I know nothing is wrong with them because they understand EVERYthing we ask them to do. I know the speech will come soon enough and by then I'll be kicking myself because they'll never be QUIET!!!!!!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Michele S said...

Your family is beautiful! I came over to check out your website. I taught my triplets to sign and even though they are 2 1/2 and can say everything now (and they don't shutup either, you just wait), they still sign for EMPHASIS while they're screeching the word. When your boys are 12, and they're really "thankful" they'll be bowing for emphasis.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Keep up the sign! Giving a sign is so much more fun than throwing a tantrum:) They will learn to talk in their own time but until then... Oh, my 9 year old loves signing to me when I'm on the phone. Things like, "Can I play", "Cookie, please". I usually just shake my head so he gets whatever he wants.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said...

How cute. I love to think they communicate with eachother;)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Good job, boys! Jack knows eat, drink, and more but we never got past those! We're starting to do a few more lately and it's so cool to see him 'get it' and start using them!

Too funny that they are bowing! hahahahaha!!!

I don't see any nudie pictures yet, so I'm going to check back later!

:}

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder where you can get a book on what the signs are? This seems really neat! All I have for reference is "Meet the Fockers!"!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home